About Joan Fine
When working with her business clients, Mrs. Fine uses a team approach. The team can include the business owner, Mrs. Fine as the business attorney, the business’s banker, CPA, and insurance agent.
Mrs. Fine listens to business owners, presents options, and helps them to decide on the path forward. She likes to work with people who take responsibility and are thorough and logical. She also enjoys working with business owners who have long-term goals and who plan the growth of their businesses.
She has advised businesses from their formation through their growth, advising them on options; drafting and reviewing contracts such as employment contracts, non-competition agreements, and buy-sell contracts; and, ultimately, working with businesses either for a sale of the business or on a succession plan. She is a business attorney for a business owner's every business need, including—when necessary—litigation and court appearances.
- J.D. Boston College Law School
Articles Editor, Law Review
- B.A. Ohio Wesleyan University
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts: 1982
- Commonwealth of Virginia: 1990
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts: 1983
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia: 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals (1st Circuit): 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals (4th Circuit): 1990
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia: 1990
- Supreme Court of the U.S.: 1989
- Winchester-Frederick County Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Member, Business and Litigation Sections
- Foundation of the State Arboretum of Virginia
Director and Member, Executive Committee
- Top of Virginia Regional Chamber of Commerce
Former Director, Winchester-Frederick County Chamber
Past President and Former Director, Berryville-Clarke County Chamber
- Piedmont Environmental Council
- Blue Ridge Association of Realtors
The will to compete is a constant in Joan Fine's business and in her personal life as well. She ran her Labrador Retriever, Candlewood's Ruffian, in AKC field trials over a ten year period, achieving Field Champion and Amateur Field Champion titles. They were one of fourteen teams who were finalists in the 2008 AKC National Amateur Retriever Stake.